Thursday, September 24, 2015

Gold Beach to Brookings

It was another quiet and peaceful evening. I woke up to a bright, sunshiney day.........and a rocking boat, I mean RV. It was WINDY!!!!  I was getting blasted by dirt from the piles near the entrance and fled over to the other side of the river.



It was still windy but I wasn't getting sandblasted. The wind was blowing OUT to sea....it was wild to watch the waves come in and get the tops blown off. It was mesmerizing, but the constant buffeting and rocking got on my nerves after a while. I went down to the Visitor Center, which was kind of sheltered.....not sheltered enough. I didn't really want to drive in that wind as blowing out to sea equals blow you off the cliffs. I finally hit the end of my rope and bailed late, around 6pm. I was at the point where getting blown off a cliff didn't sound that bad. Amazingly, about 10 miles down the road, it was calm. I rolled into Brookings in the twilight and was not thrilled about trying to find some boondocking spot in the dark. I saw a Fred Meyer, and thought, "Well, it can't hurt to ask...." I went in and asked to park overnight and they said no problem.  What a relief! They weren't listed in the guides I use and normally I'd just pass it up. Glad I didn't. When I was walking to the store I had seen a sign at the top of the street saying "Tap Room". After I did my shopping and moved the rig to the spot they asked me to, I did a beeline up there. It turned out to be the Chetco Brewing Co, and they had super nice folks, and fabulous beer.  I'm STILL kicking myself for not getting a growler of the Unity Pale Ale. That was one of the best beers I've ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment