Monday, December 1, 2014

11/30/14 Another day driving through Texas

I knew Doug was in Ft. Stockton but got there too late to meet up. And also knew they'd likely be on the road before I got up.  Tho I got up earlier than planned when this guy fired up his contractor generator.

 
Even if it is Walmart, this is a but rude. Running a Harbor Freight gen at 9am on a Sunday. SMH.
11/30/2014 8:59:05 AM

I did some research and after deciding I was going to try to get to Magnolia Beach/Port Aransas area, I set Kerrville TX as my next overnight stop.  Cracker Barrel here I come.  :-)

I saw a sign saying Fort Laurence Scenic Loop and on a whim got off the highway. Eight miles later I was pulled over in a town called Sheffield Texas wondering where exactly the scenic bit started because this town looked like something from the Walking Dead. When some scary looking dude started shambling towards me I bolted. LOL. The GPS confirmed the fort did exist a few miles further down the road.  The visitor center was being rebuilt and if there's a scenic loop drive, it must be as well as I saw no sign of it. The nice man at the welcome trailer offered to let me use a golf cart to tour the ruins. I told him I'd walk. It was a nice day.


Fort Laurence
11/30/2014 1:07:19 PM



11/30/2014 1:07:44 PM


Up the chimmney
11/30/2014 1:08:39 PM



11/30/2014 1:10:12 PM



11/30/2014 1:16:20 PM



11/30/2014 1:17:44 PM

After leaving the fort I saw signs saying one lane road ahead.


Really??
11/30/2014 1:30:19 PM


Yep. No flagman, just look-and-go as we used to say in air traffic.
11/30/2014 1:30:37 PM


I had a guy on my bumper so pulled into the picnic area to check out the view.  Pretty, but swarming with bees.
11/30/2014 1:34:46 PM


This sign might be more helpful if it were located at the turnoff rather than after the point of no return.
11/30/2014 1:38:09 PM

I got back on the road, and later saw a sign for Caverns of Sonora. I had been tempted by that on the way out but didn't stop. I exited, wondering how far THIS detour would be. It was @ 7 mi. Of course when I got there the next tour wasn't till 4:30. I decided that was too late and left. Next time. I got suckered in one last time about 5 miles from Kerrville. I was climbing a fairly steep hill and saw a sign for scenic view at the top. It was close to sunset so I pulled in. Well, there was no real view and the whole area smelled overwhelmingly of pee. :-(  I got back in the rig and realized getting out of there was gonna suck, speed limit is 75, sight distance is limited because of the hill, and there wasn't a ton of merge lane.  Sigh......  I just floored it and hoped for the best.  That is one nice thing about my rig, it has a lot of power. I can watch the gas gauge drop when I use all of it, but when I need it, it's great to have.

I pulled into the Cracker Barrel. Much to my astonishment, there was a waitlist for dinner. Guess the pickings are slim around here. But I had a big salad and spent the evening catching up a little on blogging. Hopefully I get an early start tomorrow and make it to the beach.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the updates Gail. You get distracted easy, I bet if you were driving a 42 foot pulling a truck you wouldn't be distracted so easy. But that's why you got the little one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I could have come by Walmart and honked my horn to get you up earlier. We hit the road at about 9, so you might have been awaken already by the generator. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete