Friday, October 24, 2014

10/23/14 Pie-o-My

If I'd seen this last night I might not have stayed.

Hmmm...there's supposed to be a 3 day limit on staying here...








Pie Town has seen better days.


My heart dropped when I saw the Pie-o-neer deserted.


I was cursing and waving my arms as I thought it was Weds. :-) A few minutes later, a vanload of folks & a couple other cars pulled in, parked, and flowed past me like lemmings to the door, which had magically just opened. Yay Thursday!!








Pies....


The blueberries tumbling out of this one sure were tempting...I hd a slice of coconut cream pie still warm from the oven, followed by a bowl of green chile stew.  Heaven!. A few people were bitching about the prices of the pies, at $5 and change per slice. I say, get over it. The nearest grocery store is almost 90 mi away. And it's awesome pie.



I headed west to Quemado then up to Ramah. I took a 20 mi detour to Zuni but no photography is allowed so no pics. I had my heart set on staying at the Ancient Way Cafe & RV park, enjoying sunset over el Morro, and a nice dinner. I was denied on all three counts.  The park closes at 5pm, not sunset. I got to the visitor center at 5:02 and saw they were closed. So i was looking at the map to figure out where the rv park was when they came over to tell me I couldn't even sit in the parking lot. So much for that. They did tell me to check out their campground and I did. But there was only one site left and it was so sloped I would never have have been able to level. Nice price but didn't work for me.



I headed to Ancient Way just up the road and found the "Open" sign was a lie, it had closed at 5pm. So now I was in a quandary....go back & try to make the sloped site work, head to Wild Spirit Wolf Sanctuary and camp there? Being after 5, who knew if I could get in there? I could ask but, and I know this will shock you,  no ATT service.  I finally threw up my hands in disgust and headed for Grants 40 mi away. At least there I could get groceries, dinner, and maybe even make a phone call.  I passed another rv park a few miles up the road, even turned around & went back, but there was no one around there either. So I went to Grants & had dinner at a Mexican place. It was pretty good. Then to Walmart for groceries and to see if they had a decent laptop as I am greatly looking forward to tossing this one. They didn't. This place is RV/truck central tho....I can see a dozen and I'm sure there's more. Of course one of the trucks is having a tire changed at 2am. And I thought my day was kinda shitty.  :-)  It got off to a good start, but there was too much driving and not enough payback.  But I'm learning.....

No comments:

Post a Comment